Thursday, September 29, 2016

Prairie Flowers bloom again


Seven years ago, I created a cloth doll pattern I called Prairie Flowers, which is available here on the blog (look down the left sidebar for the doll and her clothing pattern).

That was the last time I made cloth dolls.  Sitting at the sewing machine for hours on end gave me a backache, and crochet and knit dolls consumed all my interest...until Joyce introduced me to Ann Wood's Tiny Rag Doll.  Hand sew a cloth doll?  I was told you should never do this.  But, at least at this small scale, it works just fine.  In fact, in small corners and curves you have much more control over the sewing if you do it by hand.

So how about making a diminutive version of the Prairie Flower doll?  How about a Pocket Prairie Flower :-)  So I reduced the pattern by 50% (simply a printer selection before printing out the pattern) and here she is!  The difference in instructions for this doll vs. her larger sister is that I made stiff templates for the doll body pattern pieces, instead of making freezer paper templates.  Trace around your stiff pattern pieces to create the sewing lines, then cut out the pieces adding a seam allowance as you cut out.

If you want to make her the same wardrobe as the original doll, I would reduce the pattern by 50%, then trace your pattern onto fabric on the sewing line, not the cutting line.  Cut out, leaving some margin for the seam allowance, and hand sew along the sewing line.  At least, that is what I intend to do.


Don't be put off by the shape of her head.  I tend to like dolls with slightly oversize heads, and this doll is no exception.  I like a lot of forehead, and also like to place the eyes of the doll at the midpoint of the head.  This gives a more childlike look to the doll, which is what I prefer.

Her hair is a wig cap with braids, made from Knit Picks Palette, a fingering weight yarn, and a size 1 steel crochet hook.  I embroidered shoes on her feet, just for fun.


She likes the bed I made for the Ann Wood dolls, but fortunately for all of them, she cannot wear their clothing :-)

12 comments:

  1. What an adorable little doll! She looks like you...I may have to try to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted you noticed the resemblance :-) I did try to make her a bit of a mini-me. Thank you for your good words.

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  2. To the embroidery question; I think this would work, just make sure you don't pull the fabric with your embroidery stitches. I would sure give it a try!

    And as for the neck darts, having them as a diamond makes the neck a bit more slender...think of it as two triangles :-) Mark the dart on both the front and the back, then after you have stitched up the side seams, pull the front and the back away from one another and pinch the material in the front (and the back) where the dart is marked, and sew it with tiny stitches. I just like the shape it helps to give the head, but you could give it a pass if you prefer.

    Misting the fabric prior to stuffing is what gets rid of the neck creases. You can use this technique with any stuffing...wool or fiberfill. But it is amazing how much better the doll stuffs when it is damp.

    And if you don't want to sew her clothing...crochet it!!

    And I am here to answer any questions you may have!

    Go for it, girl!

    warmly,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosas. Me gusta la expresión tan dulce que has dado a la cara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just discovered your site and it is awesome. I crochet dolls and softies and am always looking for inspiration. How do I follow your site? Are you on Facebook or do you have a members listing etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eleven,

      I am not on facebook, but to follow this blog scroll down the left sidebar and you will eventually find the place where you can 'follow.'

      And thank you for your good words!

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  5. Beth, she is absolutely adorable!! i find that handstitching works well on small dolls and toys!! Love the embroidery, a fun suprise when clothes are removed!! you are a true talent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Judy :-) I was really happy with the way she miniaturized!

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  6. I wish I had that much time to make all the dolls I want to make! The fabric ones are lovely, though I absolutely lack the sewing skills, so will probably fail making them. I might give them a try anyway.
    By the way, I have published a post with a two dolls I've made based on your Mini Free Spirit pattern, check them out if you'd like :)
    Best wishes from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good words, Ola. I am fortunate to be 'mostly' retired, and have now the time I've always wanted to make the things I love. I hope you will have this same opportunity one day :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete